Using foul language has become the trend now. The latest trend where the "cool people" swear at everyone and everything. When I say everything, I mean not just humans and animals. They somehow manage to swear the things. They knock their legs against a table, and most of you'll would have heard the swearing. It just seems as though people have gotten so used to swearing that they can hardly manage to speak a single sentence without some kind of foul language.
"LMFAO" "WTF" "OMFG"... I'm sure all of you'll know it stands for. Well, the last one certainly shocked me, Subhanallah! People use it as though it's the easiest and simplest thing ever. But have you ever given a thought to the weight of using such words? Just see these Hadith mentioned below:
- Ibn Mas'ud narrates that Prophet (sallallahu alaihi wa sallam) said, "To swear at a Muslim is sinful and to kill a muslim is kufr (disbelief). (agreed by Bukhari & Muslim)
- “Indeed most people are dragged to Hellfire, solely because of what their tongues have harvested!” Prophet Muhammad (sallallahu alaihi wa sallam).
- “A person might utter a single word by virtue of which Allah will raise his station; or he may utter a single word thanks to which he may be flung right into the middle of Hellfire.” Prophet Muhammad (sallallahu alaihi wa sallam)
- “A believer is not one who is in the habit of cursing, swearing or indulging in foul or lewd talk.” Prophet Muhammad (sallallahu alaihi wa sallam)
- The Prophet (Sal Allaahu Alaiyhi wa Sallam) said: “O ‘Aaishah! Have you ever seen me speaking a bad and dirty language? (Remember that) the worst people in Allah’s sight on the Day of Resurrection will be those whom the people desert or leave in order to save themselves from their dirty language or from their transgression.” (Bukhaari)
But I know, most people, at this point, would say to themselves, ''C'mon, it's just an expression! This is just my way of talking!"
Expression? Think of it sisters and brothers. Aren't there enough of other words in the English vocabulary with which you can express yourself? Or it expression only possible through swearing?
Think of it this way. Did Prophet Muhammad (sallalahu alaihi wasallam) ever use a single word that hurt a person, let alone an animal? Then how do we see it right that we swear at everyone, be it our friend, sister or even our mother? Do you really think it's a respectful thing to do?
You might think that swearing left, right and center is cool and punk, but it's not so. It's just plain disgusting and you're just blind to the number of people you're hurting with your vulgar words. Maybe you wouldn't mind people swearing at you, but I'm sure people may be hurt by your words.
Words are a mighty weighty thing. Once it's uttered, you're totally under it's control. You can't change it, you can't take it back. The damage has already been done.
Unless you seek forgiveness from Allah, and forgiveness from the people you have hurt with your words. Although seeking Allah's forgiveness is easy, how many of us can trample our ego and approach a person and ask for his/her forgiveness? Well I'm sure most of us would never muster that strength!
You may call me an old-fashioned, goody-girl for not swearing or using filth, but really I'd rather be old-fashioned than being the 'modernized punk' of today. Alhamdulillah, I've so many ways of expressing myself without having to use obscene language and I'm pretty sure people understand my 'expressions' when I speak in normal, decent words.
So dear sisters and brothers, if you still think that speaking obscenities is alright, then go ahead. Hurt the people around you, displease Allah and make yourself hated and disrespected among people.
“Whoever believes in Allah and the Last Day, let him speak what is good or remain silent” Prophet Muhammad (sallalahu alaihi wasallam)